Ten contentious issues in swimming
Our philosophy on the controversial aspects of swimming coaching
Get the mix of technique and training right for maximum results.
1. Technique vs. Fitness Training
Swim Smooth believe that fitness is important to your swimming performance and that there isn't very much crossover from the other triathlon disciplines. If you're a cyclist or a runner who's tried swimming for the first time, you'll know this is the case!
2. The S-Shape Pull
These days all great swimmers enter with a flat hand and pull straight back to the wall behind them. It's faster and has a much reduced risk of shoulder injury.
3. Head Position - straight down or forward?
We setup Mr Smooth with a mid-head position, it could be raised or lowered from here.
4. Stroke Length - Should I make my stroke as long as I can possibly get it?
Don't over-do the length of your stroke, you'll hit a performance ceiling.
5. Body Roll - Do I Really Need to Do It?
Aim to roll your shoulders and hips as one to this sort of angle (45-60°).
6. Crossover - How Do I Remove It?
7. Hand Entry - How Should I Position My Hand?
Spear into the water with a flat hand.
8. Kicking - Should I Kick As A Triathlete?
Kicking from the hip.
Kick from the hip with a straight relaxed leg.
9. Breathing and Buoyancy
Don't forget to breathe. Doctors recommend it.
10. Breathing - Why Bother With Bilateral If I Find It Tough?
Mr Smooth exhales into the water.
Whenever your face is in the water, exhale constantly and strongly.